Well deserved!

February 11, 2019
ap
Host Shaggy speaks at the 61st Annual Grammy Awards on Sunday.
ap Host Shaggy speaks at the 61st Annual Grammy Awards on Sunday.

Sting (left) and Shaggy in performance at last year’s Shaggy and Friends concert on the lawns of Jamaica House.
Sting (left) and Shaggy in performance at last year’s Shaggy and Friends concert on the lawns of Jamaica House.

Reggae singer Gramps Morgan was performing on stage in Long Beach, California, last night, when he found out that Shaggy and Sting's44/876 had copped the award for the Best Reggae Album, at the 61st Grammy Awards at Staples Center in Los Angeles.

Morgan Heritage is featured on the album's title track, alongside dancehall deejay Aidonia, and Gramps Morgan could barely contain his happiness.

"Incredible, incredible, incredible," he toldThe STAR. "This win is well deserved, long overdue. It's great that an artiste from overseas could team up with one of our own for this project. I love it; it was great to be part of it. Congrats to all the nominees."

The album earned the award over Protoje'sA Matter of Time, Etana'sReggae Forever, Ziggy Marley'sRebellion Rises, andAs the World Turns by Black Uhuru.

good quality work

Also singing Shaggy's praises was his longtime collaborator, producer Mikie Bennett.

"I'm a big fan of Sting and a big fan of Shaggy as well and I think it was a wonderful idea to have this album," he said. "I think they did a lot of work in terms of touring to support the album. As we know from past experience, it takes more than just a good album to win; you have to go out there and make people aware that this album actually exists so the people of the (Recording) Academy can put in a vote for you and I think reggae has suffered from that. What I heard is good quality work and I just hope Jamaican radio starts to play the album a little more."

When contacted by The STAR, Entertainment and Culture Minister Olivia 'Babsy' Grange expressed contentment, saying: "I knew they would win."

Social media users also chimed in on the winning album.

"A Matter of Time did not win the Grammy but to me it was the best album in the category but have to give congrats to Shaggy for winning," said Instagram user Lindon Walters.

Another user, Barryb60 Alsahim said: "You're already a winner in my books Etana."

Among the tracklist on44/876 are Don't Make Me Wait,Night Shift, Love Changes Everything andJust One Lifetime.

In addition to winning, Shaggy also hosted the Grammy Awards Premiere Ceremony.

He won his first Grammy in 1996 for hisBombastic album and has since been nominated for the Best Reggae Grammy Award forClothes Drop (2006),Intoxication (2009),Summer in Kingston (2012) andOut of Many, One Music (2015).

Other Entertainment Stories