In the kitchen with Joe Boganovich

July 11, 2018
Fantan Mojah prepares fish which went well with Joe's salad.

Josef 'Joe' Bogdanovich's meals are never complete without a manly sized salad - at least that's what he says. Even though the founder of Downsound Records (DSR) and owner of the Reggae Sumfest brand recommends eating a big plate of fresh greens, it does not mean the other food groups are excluded from his diet.

Bogdanovich told The STAR during a trip from the Cross Roads Market in Kingston to the kitchen at the DSR head office that he is not a vegetarian but tries to eat in moderation.

"In the last few years, my diet typically includes certain kinds of rice, healthy cereals, and I watch the things I put in my food," Bogdanovich said.

At the market, the businessman took his time to select the best-looking lettuce, tomatoes and also shopped for a few extra items for Robert Russell, Reggae Sumfest director, who is known for his sweet-to-the bone curried goat (according to Joe). He also picked up stuff for the rest of the team, including entertainers Fantan Mojah and Harry Toddler, who were already in the kitchen preparing several dishes such as jerked chicken, stewed cow foot, rice and peas and escoveitched fish.

"With all the food that's being prepared, the key is in the spices, and nothing can beat fresh, blended spices," Joe said as he carefully selected scallion, thyme and onions. His interest in the market and the produce resulted in the Sumfest executive leaving Miss Keisha's stall with more than he bargained for.

"I love going to the market; one of the most wonderful markets I have been was in Grenada - the spice island."

In-between a brief Reggae Sumfest meeting back at DSR, an excited Bogdanovich returned and, with help from a few members of the team, he washed the lettuce and tomatoes. but to everyone's surprise, he cut the vegetables in thick slices. He could not resist eating a few pieces as he layered the lettuce, tomatoes and a few slices of pineapple in a dish.

"All that's needed to complete the salad, or any salad for that matter, is to have it dressed with a little olive oil and vinegar," he said.

BUY YOUR COPY OF THE STAR AND FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA (Instagram @thejamaicastar, Twitter @jamaicastar) TO WIN SUMFEST TICKETS

Other Features Stories