Marlon Samuels plans grand birthday celebration

February 05, 2019
Samuels (left) poses with his dad, Phillip ‘John Cherry’ Samuels.
Samuels (left) poses with his dad, Phillip ‘John Cherry’ Samuels.
 Ian Allen Photos
STAR of the Month Marlon Samuels
Ian Allen Photos STAR of the Month Marlon Samuels

For Marlon Samuels, birthday celebrations were never about cake-cuttings and handing out invitations to schoolmates to attend a party.

Instead, he said: "The most important birthdays have always been the ones spent with my family."

The truth is, there have not been many opportunities for the sports figure to hosts extravagant soirees since many of his birthdays were spent travelling to fulfil his duties as a West Indian batsman.

"I cannot say any of my birthdays were memorable, and for the most part, I do not have any traditions for the occasion," said Samuels, who celebrates his birthday today.

However, the STAR of the Month said that his 38th birthday will see him going all out. On Saturday, all roads will lead to the Second City as he hosts 'The Iconic Experience' at the popular Montego Bay hot spot, Margaritaville.

"It will be a three-night experience in one venue because each floor will have a disc jockey with three cakes designed to suit my taste and style," he said.

Following the party, the cricketer -turned-recording artiste has plans to take a quick trip to Italy, but it is not going to be all fun and games.

With the future of his career in cricket weighing in the balance because of a chronic knee illness that has required him to go under the knife on more than one occasion, Samuels plans to use the opportunity to seek the advice of a doctor in the European country.

"Trying to work it out that I can go to Italy and meet with a doctor to check my knee. If all goes well, then the remaining couple of days will be used to enjoy my birthday," he said, noting that his only birthday wish would be to get proper help and treatment for his knee.

It will be a three-night experience in one venue because each floor will have a disc jockey with three cakes designed to suit my taste and style.

Other Features Stories