Mom thanks donors for helping finance daughter's surgery

October 11, 2017
Claudia Vassell

Anneth Carter, the mother of Claudia Vassell, who was diagnosed with rheumatic heart disease with moderate mitral stenosis, is expressing gratitude for the outpouring of support and donations that made it possible for her daughter to travel overseas to have open-heart surgery.

"I just want to say thanks for everything that they have done, because if it wasn't for them I don't know what would happen to her," she told THE STAR.

"From she went away, I started to send out thanks and appreciation," she continued.

Through the donations that she received and other fundraising efforts, Carter said she was able to pay for Claudia, along with a nurse, to travel overseas to get the operation done.

"There was a fish fry that was done for her and I raised $120,000 out of that, along with what other persons put in; I raised over $400 (thousand)," she said.

She acknowledged that some persons made contributions after reading a story that was published in THE STAR on May 16.

"It help a lot. Because of that, that's how she got some of the funds. A lot of persons donated," she said.

Vassell, who left the island for treatment on September 13, was scheduled to return to Jamaica yesterday afternoon, after the surgery was successfully done.

"She did the surgery and is doing well. She feeling okay and apparently she coming in this evening (yesterday)," Carter said.

Other News Stories