BROTHERS FIGHT OVER FOOD AT FUNERAL — Siblings chopped during dead yard dispute

August 03, 2018

While the funeral for a Clarendon man was under way last Saturday, the family was on the brink of planning another such occasion because of a dispute that took place between two of the deceased's brothers.

One of the brothers, Mark Brown*, said that when the food was being served, things got heated between him and his brother, Joe Brown*.

"From him come from foreign him a act like him wah run everything, and a nuh so it go. All me did wah do, a put in my two cents and help out the process, but no, a him fi have the last say," said an agitated Mark.

He told THE WEEKEND STAR that he was in charge of serving the food after the funeral and his brother did not like that.

Their sister, Jane Brown*, said that her older brother attacked Mark because the food that was being served finished and his friends were not able to get any.

"From before the funeral dem at odds, but we beg them fi be at peace because we a mourn we brother. Mi frighten funeral day when Mark and Joe get inna big, big argument and a over food," she said.

"One piece a commotion dem create because Joe feel like seh a spite Mark dweet fah. Mi just hear when Joe a seh him (Mark) never want dem get food and that's why him mek it done and all a that. Mi and me other brother did deh a try calm dem down, but they wouldn't listen to us," Jane said.

refused to comment

The dispute got to the point where machetes were drawn, and both men ended up injuring each other.

Mark received treatment and was released from the hospital, but Joe had to be admitted.

Although Mark refused to comment any further on the incident, Jane told THE WEEKEND STAR that Mark received injuries to his arm, while Joe got a chop on his shoulder.

"To how it happen fast, mi not even did know what to do. Dem go fi machete and thing and out inna the yard a talk bout who a go chop who. All we a bawl out to them, dem nah listen. A wi same one haffi blaze wid dem go a hospital. Me a bawl and a cuss because look how dem almost kill off dem one another ova foolishness, after we just bury one a wi own," Jane said crying.

Regretting his actions, Mark said that he did not intend to hurt his brother. He said that he visited him after the incident and apologised for what transpired between them. He also said that he wants his brother to recover as soon as possible so they can mend the family.

* NAMES CHANGED

Other News Stories