‘A mi alone and Jesus’

February 11, 2019
Lionel Rookwood/Photographer
Maizie Brown
Lionel Rookwood/Photographer Maizie Brown

When The STAR team journeyed through Dyruple, St Ann, the sweet voice of Maizie Brown echoed from the hilltop.

"Sweetest name that ever sung ..." was heard as we trekked up to her house.

As the team approached Brown singing her way to glory, she welcomed us with smiles and blessings from the Most High.

Brown, who turns 91 in April, said that she has outlived all her family members and has now been relying on community members to help her out when they can.

As the last of four children on her mother's side, she said that it is the grace of God that has kept her.

Her husband died 26 years ago, and since then, Brown said that she has not got the hots for anyone else.

"Since my husband died, it is just me and God. Mi nuh have the time to tek up any stress on my head," she said.

Even though she suffers from knee problems, she said that she takes on the task of doing her own washing and cleaning.

Brown said that she has lived her best life in the Lord and is looking forward to better days with Him.

"A mi alone and Jesus live here. Mi do mi likkle washing and cleaning for the time being. Anytime people passing, they will give me a likke supm, and I appreciate it. I am on the PATH (Programme for Advancement Through Health and Education), so you know a every two months supm that. But the Father always provide for me," she said.

Presently, she has to be taking medication to help ease the pain in her knee, but nevertheless, she is happy that people are looking out for her.

"I don't have any children, and my nephew who was taking care of me died in 2015. I attend the Seventh-day Adventist church in Moneague, and I go church when I can. When I can't make it, they would come and look for me and give me Communion," she said.

Other News Stories