Bahamian searches for her Jamaican mom

June 20, 2019
Tricia Smith is searching for her mother, who she hasn’t seen in 15 years.
Tricia Smith is searching for her mother, who she hasn’t seen in 15 years.

Eighteen-year-old Tricia Smith barely remembers what her mother, Tricia Sawyer, looks like, and has no photos to jog her memory, either.

Smith has not seen her mother since she was three years old, when she says that she left her in The Bahamas to return to Jamaica.

"I was told that she was living here (Bahamas) for some time when she met my father, and when I was three years old I can remember she went away. She went away to Jamaica, and she never returned," she said

And after her father was sent to prison when she was four years old, Smith was sent to live with people that she said her father knew.

Smith said she was told by her aunt (her father's sister) that her mother is living in St Catherine, Jamaica.

She said she's her mother's first child, and that she had her when she was 21 years old.

Now, Smith said that she has graduated high school and is currently employed, and living with the mother of a friend.

Her life has got better, but not knowing her mother or anyone from that side of the family still causes her to feel emptiness inside.

"I just really want to know what happened, why she went, why she never made any contact, " she said

*Smith is asking anyone who knows her mother Tricia Sawyer, or any other relatives, to contact her at +1 (242) 428-8984

Other News Stories