RSPL start date welcomed by players

September 24, 2020
Mount Pleasant’s Kemar Beckford (right) outsprints UWI FC’s Ryan Miller to the ball during a Red Stripe Premier League game at the Anthony Spaulding Sports Complex on Sunday, March 24, 2019.
Mount Pleasant’s Kemar Beckford (right) outsprints UWI FC’s Ryan Miller to the ball during a Red Stripe Premier League game at the Anthony Spaulding Sports Complex on Sunday, March 24, 2019.
Waterhouse’s Shawn Lawes (right) wins an aerial duel against Vere United’s Devroy Grey during their Red Stripe Premier League game at the Drewsland Stadium on Thursday, September 12, 2019.
Waterhouse’s Shawn Lawes (right) wins an aerial duel against Vere United’s Devroy Grey during their Red Stripe Premier League game at the Drewsland Stadium on Thursday, September 12, 2019.
CHRISTIE
CHRISTIE

A number of local players said they are delighted with the news that the Red Stripe Premier League (RSPL) competition is scheduled to kick off on November 14.

The league was scheduled to begin earlier this month, but it has been pushed back because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Mount Pleasant striker Kemar Beckford, who was the leading goalscorer with 14 goals when the 2019-20 season was cancelled in May, said he is happy about this date.

"I am feeling glad that the league is going to kick off in November because we have been waiting very long for this date to be announced," he said.

"I am 100 per cent fit because I have been training right throughout because we all get our training scheduled from the club, so I am ready for the start of the competition."

Waterhouse defender Shawn Lawes said he and his teammates are pleased to finally have a start date to prepare themselves for.

"I am feeling good about this because I haven't played any football for seven months and given that the league is going to start on November 14, it is a good feeling to know that we will be back on the green," Lawes said.

"Everyone kind of happy, but in terms of preparation, most teams are going to be off because we were all following the Ministry of Health's guidelines in terms of social distancing and things like that, but we are grateful for the chance to play."

Dunbeholden Manager Paul Christie said this is big news for his club because his players, and supporters, are anxious for football to return to their community in St Catherine.

"Some players have turned up their intensity, and some are very eager to get out on to the field of play," he said.

"The players want to play now, so it is a good feeling right around the club because this is our passion. However, the fact that we have a start date, we are also aware that this can change based on the Government's guidelines and protocols."

Other News Stories