Confessed thief begs persons not to end up in jail

December 08, 2021

A man who was before the courts for simple larceny, yesterday pleaded with members of the public not to get caught in wrongdoing.

Morland Thompson was to be sentenced by Senior Parish Judge Lori-Ann Cole-Montague inside the Kingston and St Andrew Parish Court. But prior to doing so, she asked the accused if he had anything to say.

"Your Honour, I would like to apologise for my past actions, which bring shame upon my family, upon my work. For the last couple of months, it has affected me. I've never been in a situation where I've been in jail and I always try do the right thing, but because I was going through a little difficult time, it led me to make the biggest mistake of my life. I am asking for the judge's leniency," Thompson said.

When asked by the judge how long he spent in jail, Thompson replied "Just a couple of days but Your Honour, jail is not a nice place."

It was at this moment that the judge told him to turn around, face other defendants in the court and inform them why he made the statement.

"Jail house is not a nice place and I don't recommend no one to come to this place ever. It is not a good feeling to have your freedom taken away from you. Your Honour, I sleep on concrete, with about five other men and sometimes they were not really nice. Basically, it is not a nice experience," he explained.

Cole-Montague commended Thompson for not wasting the court's time and admitting to the offence at the first available opportunity. This, she said, was a sign of him being remorseful.

Thompson was sentenced to nine months' imprisonment at hard labour, suspended for two years, but was warned to be on his best behaviour.

- T.T.

Other News Stories