Elderly couple count blessings after car crashes into yard

December 08, 2021
This car crashed into the shop run by Collins and Clarke, which is at the front of their house.
This car crashed into the shop run by Collins and Clarke, which is at the front of their house.
Fairlin Collins, 64, and her 70-year-old common-law husband Nehemiah Clarke, of Riley Road in Lucea, Hanover, are grateful to be alive after a motor car crashed into their shop on Monday night, metres away from their bedroom.
Fairlin Collins, 64, and her 70-year-old common-law husband Nehemiah Clarke, of Riley Road in Lucea, Hanover, are grateful to be alive after a motor car crashed into their shop on Monday night, metres away from their bedroom.

An elderly Hanover couple are now counting their blessings after the driver of a motor vehicle lost control and crashed into their shop, right in front of their house.

Nehemiah Clarke, 70, and his 64-year-old common-law wife, Fairlin Collins, told THE STAR that on a normal day, their business establishment would have been open up to 11 p.m., but due to the nightly curfew which still starts at 9 p.m., they close about 8:30 p.m.

Clarke further stated that he and his spouse have been operating their shop, which adjoins their home at Riley Road, Lucea, Hanover, for the past 27 years, and if not for the COVID-19 curfew measures, he would have been sitting at his regular spot inside the shop.

"A sleep mi did a sleep, enuh, I was inside the room about after 10 o'clock when a hear a loud bang, and because mi did a listen to the radio, mi neva really pay it no mine," Clarke said. "Is when wi hear a young man a shout, 'Aunty, a car crash inna yu shop', because everybody call mi lady 'Aunty', that is when mi come out and look. Is a car mi see inna mi shop right there." Clarke said that he spoke with the driver, but he did not give much explanation.

"So mi go inside what lef a the shop and try fi see if mi could save the tin items, like mackerel and sardines," said Clarke. Firefighters from the Lucea Fire Station assisted in removing a female from the crashed vehicle and transported her to the Noel Holmes Hospital in Lucea where she was treated.

Clarke said that all his life savings have been invested in the shop and now that most of his stock have been destroyed, he does not know where to turn.

"One thing I do know, mi nuh glad seh the accident happen, but a glad the time wen it happen. I tell a lot a people that you see that coronavirus, it's a gift. It's a present to everybody because if it was neva that an the curfew, mi and mi wife would be two dead people right yah now," he said.

The Lucea police say they are investigating the crash and that Clarke and Collins will be compensated for the items that were destroyed in the accident.

- H.B.

Other News Stories