JFF seeks legal advice - PLCA misses deadline to pay MoBay

June 19, 2017
JFF General Secretary, Raymond Grant

Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) General Secretary Raymond Grant said they have sought legal advice over the contract dispute between the Premier League Clubs Association (PLCA) and Red Stripe Premier League campaigners MoBay United.

MoBay has not been paid by the PLCA for the entire 2016-17 RSPL season because of a dispute the two parties have over whether MoBay was part of the RSPL or not. However, last month, the JFF ordered the PLCA to pay MoBay what was owed for the season by last Saturday, June 17.

The PLCA has remained resolute about not owing MoBay and yesterday MoBay President Orville Powell confirmed that as far as he was aware, he had not been paid.

NO CHEQUE

"I didn't receive a cheque and I didn't check my (bank) account, and that is the only other way I could have got it,' he told STAR Sports.

On Friday, Grant told STAR Sports that he was unable to discuss the matter in detail because the local sport governing body has sought legal advice on how to proceed.

"The issues have taken on a legal tone. The PLCA have their attorney looking at the matter, and the JFF have their attorney speaking to the matter as well. The JFF has sought counsel on the matter and the PLCA have done the same and at the appropriate time, I am sure that we will flesh out the issue. It's inappropriate for me to say much," Grant said.

Grant said he was not clear on exactly how much MoBay would be owed.

"There are a lot of charges and counter-charges as to what is due and what is not due, so when everything is done everything will surface. These payments are not made by the JFF. They are made by the appropriate organs - the PLCA and the PFAJ (Professional Football Association of Jamaica) - and they are the best suited to respond to what is due and what is not due. As far as I am aware, there is nothing conclusive as to what is due and what is not due at this time," he added.

Meanwhile, Grant said a gag order was placed on the parties involved because public debate was neither good for the image of football nor the ability to garner sponsorship.

"We have taken a decision not to have the matter debated in the public space. It is not good for football and not good for sponsorship and image. We cannot be destroying the image of the game and then be looking for sponsorship. As a family, we have to be responsible and use the appropriate channels to air our grouses," he said.

Other Sports Stories