Batshuayi delights for Dortmund
LONDON, England (AP):
Michy Batshuayi scored twice, the second goal arriving in stoppage time, to earn Borussia Dortmund a 3-2 comeback win over Atalanta in the first leg of their UEFA Europa League last-32 tie yesterday.
Elsewhere, Arsenal powered past Ostersund 3-0, Atletico Madrid thrashed Copenhagen 4-1 and Italian league leader Napoli slipped to a surprise 3-1 home defeat against Leipzig.
Batshuayi, who has been in sparkling form since joining from Chelsea on loan in the mid-season transfer window, helped host Dortmund record its first victory in European competition this season.
Dortmund hadn't won in eight previous appearances and only joined the Europa League after finishing third in its UEFA Champions League group.
Andre Schurrle put Dortmund ahead after 30 minutes, only for Josep Ilicic to score twice for the Italian visitors in the 51st and 56th.
Batshuayi equalised in the 65th before grabbing the late winner. The Belgian striker replaced striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang at Dortmund following his move to Arsenal.
"Michy is a real goal-scorer, it was a good move to bring him here," Dortmund manager Peter Stoeger said. "Things are looking good. He is well liked, fully integrated and our goals and his personal goals align."
Yesterday's Europa League
Round of 32 results:
• FC Astana 1-3 Sporting CP
• Borussia Dortmund 3-2 Atalanta
• Ludogorets Razgrad 0-3 AC Milan
• Marseille 3-0 Braga
• Nice 2-3 Lokomotiv Moscow
• Oestersunds FK 0-3 Arsenal
• Real Sociedad 2-2 Salzburg
• Spartak Moscow 1-3 Athletic Bilbao
• A EK Athens 1-1 Dynamo Kyiv
• Celtic 1-0 Zenit St. Petersburg
• FC FCSB 1-0 Lazio
• FC Koebenhavn 1-4 Atletico Madrid
• Lyon 3-1 Villarreal
• Partizan Beograd 1-1 Viktoria Plzen
• SSC Napoli 1-3 RasenBallsport Leipzig