'Bigga' dismisses Humble Lion move

August 10, 2018
Oneil 'Bigga' Thompson (left) in action for Arnett Gardens against Jermaine Johnson of Tivoli Gardens during the 2016-17 Red Stripe Premier League season.

Former Arnett Gardens captain Oneil 'Bigga' Thompson has dismissed reports that he would be playing in the colours of Humble Lion during the upcoming Red Stripe Premier League season.

Thompson told STAR Sports yesterday that he has not made any final decision on a destination for next season, after reports surfaced earlier this week that he would be making a move to Clarendon.

"I don't know about that (any movement). You are the one telling me about that right now," Thompson said yesterday.

"I am not at any club. I have always had plans to continue playing and I have been approached by a lot of clubs. I won't disclose any names. I am nowhere yet," he insisted.

In an article published in STAR Sports on April 18, Thompson said that he was ready to leave the 'Junglists' after more than a decade.

"I have been at Arnett Gardens for 11 years, and I don't think certain things are valued as they used to be. I don't think I can continue with them in terms of leading them in the right direction, so I think I will have to move to somewhere else," Thompson had said.

Arnett Gardens, who won the RSPL title in the 2016-17 season, started last season well with an impressive 19-game unbeaten streak before things started to go south after a wage dispute.

WRONG MOVE

Their woes even got worse when a group of players signed a petition to have the president of the club, Patrick Roberts, removed from his post.

"I think it was a wrong move," Thompson said at the time, and he gave up the captaincy close to the end of the season. He said it was the split in the club that even worsened the team's performance towards the end of the regular season.

"We just weren't sharp, and the players who took time off just couldn't get back up to match level," Thompson said.

Though he has not yet decided where he will be playing next season, the 34-year-old said that he hopes to play for a team that would be battling for the title.

"I am going to take some time off and think about what the next move is, but I always want to win, so it makes sense to go somewhere that I can win," Thompson said.

Other Sports Stories