Dortmund already active in transfer window
Borussia Dortmund isn't wasting any time. Days after narrowly losing out to Bayern Munich in the Bundesliga, Dortmund signed three internationals to better challenge for the title next season.
Julian Brandt and Nico Schulz have joined from Bayer Leverkusen and Hoffenheim, respectively, while Belgium forward Thorgan Hazard has switched from Borussia Monchengladbach.
"It's time to be more ambitious. We'll go into the season with the clear proviso to try again for the German championship," Dortmund chief executive Hans-Joachim Watzke said on Tuesday, three days after Bayern won the title by two points.
"There is no second force in Germany other than Borussia Dortmund," Watzke said. "With the exception of 2018, we fought for a title to the end for the past decade. That's why we're going to be more offensive now. Let's see what we get for it."
Boosting their options
In Brandt and Hazard, Dortmund are significantly boosting their options in attack, while Schulz, who has two goals in six appearances for Germany, should help shore up a defence that was prone to late nerves last season.
Schulz, who trained briefly under Dortmund coach Lucien Favre when they were both at Gladbach, will fill a hole at left back, where neither Marcel Schmelzer (31) nor Jeremy Toljan (24) appear to have the coach's confidence.
The 23-year-old Brandt, who played for Leverkusen alongside 19-year-old Kai Havertz last season, had been a target for many clubs because of his consistently good performances since making his Bundesliga debut when he was 17.
"He's still a young player with lots of potential for development," Dortmund sporting director Michael Zorc said.