Tour of Bangladesh in January is possible – Skerritt

November 24, 2020
West Indies captain Jason Holder (second right) celebrates with teammates the dismissal of England’s Dom Sibley (left) during the third day of the third Test match at Old Trafford in Manchester, England, in July.
West Indies captain Jason Holder (second right) celebrates with teammates the dismissal of England’s Dom Sibley (left) during the third day of the third Test match at Old Trafford in Manchester, England, in July.

The West Indies will usher the new year in on a tour in Bangladesh as the boys from the Caribbean are set to travel to South Asian country in January.

But Cricket West Indies President Ricky Skerritt said the safety of the players will be of utmost importance before it can take place. The tour, part of the Future Tours Programme of the ICC, the sport's world governing body, is currently scheduled to feature three Tests, which will count towards the ICC World Test Championship, three One-day and three Twenty20 Internationals,

But officials from the two cricket boards are currently trying to iron out satisfactory safety protocols that will protect the players from the risk of catching the COVID-19 virus.

"We want to be sure that the protocols established in Bangladesh meet the requirement that we have established so far in the various tours we have been on," Skerritt told the Dhaka-based Maasranga TV.

"There are case studies to benchmark from. This is not going to be the first overseas tour. As you know, we did the first overseas tour to England.

"Certain standards were set, certain learnings were achieved, and I think once Bangladesh can meet those standards, I don't think there's going to be any major problem.

"We just have to verify in our own way that the situation will be safe for all concerned."

Meeting safety standards

Skerritt said once the safety standards are met, the "best available" West Indies team will make the trip to Bangladesh, and the Tests made be reduced to two.

"There has been an option to reduce from three to two Tests, but it is not finalised yet," Skerritt said.

"It will be finalised within the next few days. The problem is [that] we have to look at it from all perspectives, that of COVID-19, scheduling and cost."

He said: "These days, the pressures that COVID-19 have brought to world cricket are significant in terms of revenue.

"We want to come to Bangladesh because we respect the relationship and the bilateral agreements that we have."

At the end of the month, it will be one full year since Bangladesh has played an international match. The Bangladesh Cricket Board is eager to bring that scenario to an end, and they are considering all the options to make things work.

"I just want to assure you that we will always send the best available team to any tour that we undertake, including to Bangladesh," Skerritt said.

"We believe a tour to Bangladesh is always a challenging tour, because it is an environment that's very different to our own conditions. But we have always done well in Bangladesh. Our players enjoy playing against Bangladesh."

He said: "At the moment, we are fairly evenly matched, and it is always a good series between West Indies and Bangladesh.

"We are doing everything we can to participate in tours abroad and at home, but the COVID-19 pandemic is making it extremely difficult to implement our plans."

West Indies are currently on a Tour of New Zealand. It is their second tour during the period of the COVID-19 pandemic, making it the only international team to do so.

They were the first international team to resume tours following a global lockdown because of the virus, when they visited England this past June for a series of three Tests.

Other Sports Stories