Mom is sleeping with her tenant

May 24, 2019

Dear Pastor,

I am 23 years old and I have a complain to make to you about my mother, who is 47 years old. The union between my father and my mother produced two children - my brother and I. My father was much older than my mother. He was married before, and his first wife died. He met my mother soon after his wife died. After a hurricane romance, they got married.

My mother never worked out. My father, who was a businessman, took care of her. As my father got old, he couldn't drive. He employed a driver. My brother and I suspected that our mother was having an affair with the driver. My brother threatened my mother that he will tell our dad that she was having an affair. He and my mother got into a heated argument over it, and I took his side. So my mother did not talk to me for a while, but I did not care.

One day, the guy did not turn up for work. We suspected that our mother told him not to come back. My father died and left two houses. My mother rented one, and the one that she is living in, she rented a part of it. People are saying that she is living with the man who has rented the small side.

I love my mother, but I don't give her money because my father has provided for her. And this young man she has as her lover is enjoying my father's wealth from his hard work. When he came to live at the house, he had a girlfriend. She went away and now my mother is doing everything for him; washing, cleaning his apartment and cooking. She is much older than this guy.

What this guy is paying for rent is very small, and my mother refuses to raise the rent on him. The house needs to be repaired. We told her to give the guy notice so that the house can be repaired, but she refuses to do so. And we suspect that the only reason she is not raising the rent or give the guy notice is because he is her man.

Pastor, tell us how to go about getting this man out of the house and getting our mother to change. Everybody in the neighbourhood knows what she is doing.


Dear P.E.,

I am assuming that your father left a will and by now the will has been probated. Your mother knows what she is entitled to under the law as a wife. And if you are not sure what you and your brother are to do, you should seek the help of an attorney.

You accused your mother of having an affair while your father was alive. Now she is being accused of having a love relationship with her tenant. But if, indeed, she is having a relationship with her tenant and they truly love each other, perhaps you may wish to encourage her to marry the man. Perhaps you and your brother feel that this man would be inheriting too much of your father's wealth. But life doesn't always go the way some of us think it should.


This young man is renting from your mother, and he had his woman with him. Now she is no longer there. Did your mother cause her to leave the young man? You can't be sure about that.

You say that your mother does not work, but she does everything for the man who is living there. Perhaps he is paying her for taking care of his clothes and for cooking for him. But whether or not she is being paid, she would say to you that it is her life, and you and your brother have no right to tell her what to do because she is a grown woman. Perhaps you may wish to leave her alone. One of these days she may either get worse or come to realise that what she is dong is wrong.

Discuss with a lawyer the situation with the house if your mother continues to allow the tenant to live there without paying anything substantial.


Other Tell Me Pastor Stories